The House Grandpa Built
My grandfather built this house for me when I was 8 years old. He came and lived with us for a short while, and during that time,
he managed, with few power tools, to make this house for me, and a red barn for my brother. Somehow, through all the moves we made
while my Dad was in the service, this is the only plaything of mine that survived. My Mom had it for a long time, and then my sister
stored it at her home. She asked if I wanted it back a year ago, and I said YES. When I got it back home, I went to work on it right away.
The original house, built over 60 years ago. The roof had to be removed to play with it from the top. I remember sitting on the floor and reaching into it, after the table disappeared in a move. I have not been able to find a pattern in any book, or a magazine that has the plans for it. I think my grandfather designed it himself.
Current front of the house.
Left side of house with kitchen door.
Back of house with bathroom window in the middle.
Right side of house with the bedroom windows.
Interior with new flooring.
Interior with furniture. For years, I have collected Renwal plastic furniture, which is like the original my Mom bought for the house when it was newly built.
Picture of original front of house before my renovation.
Corner with trim missing.
The roof was falling apart at the edges.
The interior was a mess. I ripped up all the old flooring and carpeting before I took this picture.
A view of the dividing walls.
The end panels that fit under the roof. I replaced the trim pieces with new fiberboard ones, like the originals.
I had to clamp the walls and glue them back into place.
I primed the whole structure. Since it was painted long ago with what I am sure was leaded enamel paint, I wanted to seal it with primer.
I started with two coats of enamel white paint after priming it.
I painted the shutters and trim turquoise like the original color.
On the replacement roof, I used the original John Deere green color of paint.
When I replaced the missing trim, I first painted it, and then glued and clamped it in place.
A new Dutch door for the kitchen. I added brass doorknobs to it and the front door, and new hinges on both.
Because this was meant to be played with, instead of glass I used Lexicon panes for the windows. The attic windows at both ends of the house were left bare, because they are used as handholds when removing the roof for access to the rooms.
New flooring was installed in all the rooms, and colorful curtains were made for all the windows.